Monday, January 30, 2012

Room Number Three

By now you get the process I've been using to update the kids' rooms.  Sofi's was much the same, except on a larger scale.  She had a lot more to purge and more things to sort.  It becomes more difficult as children get older to know what you can get rid of and what is still important to them.  

My main goal for Sofi's room was for it to be functional.  She is a collector, and piles of stuff had grown to a point where desktops were unusable and drawers were not opening.

Let's look at the before and afters and then we'll discuss the reveal.


Cupboards got sorted:

Before
After




After
Before



Shelves arranged:

Before
After






















Spaces cleared off, and in the case of the desk, replaced.

After
Before







Before


After


The closet got tidied up and I filled the upper shelf with items that need a spot but are not often used.

Before
After





Little used items can store on the harder to reach shelf.


After I removed the desk I added a table so that Sofi would have a larger work space as she is a very creative little bunny.  The switch of furniture meant I needed to rearrange.

Before
After





















After

It was a big job.  Thank you Darla for your help on yet another room!

When I brought Sofi in to see the new look, she got really quiet.  I knew something was wrong and upon questioning, she burst into tears.

Eeeeeek.

So, we sat down and I tried to understand what she didn't like.  It turned out that she was upset to lose her desk, she wanted a lamp moved, she noticed a few items missing, and I think in general, she was just not that happy with the change.  

And this is the reality of Pretty Organized.  While most of us are excited, even exhilarated by a fresh new look, others do not feel so thrilled over change.  So how do we manage to keep our home organized when we live with others who may not be on board?

In Sofi's case, I knew going in that she is the kind of person who is attached to her things.  So when I purged, I only took items I was positive she would not miss, or things I could tell she had not been using (you know...because they were in a drawer that was stuck shut).  I did not throw anything (but garbage) out but put everything in a box out of sight.  So, when I discovered her sadness, we made a deal.  I asked her to live in her new space for several days, but promised that if she still missed items they would be returned at the end of that time.  I moved the lamp for her.  I asked her to try the table for some time to see if she preferred it over the desk.  I purchased the pink bulletin board to make the table area more fun for her. 

Now, several days later, Sofi is very happy with her room.  So far she has asked for 2 items back...one I gave her and the other I am still going to hold for a few more days and then we will decide if she is SURE she missed it.  

When change feels unwelcome, time is often a grand healer.  Try living in a new space before you decide you are sure you don't like it.  The beauty of rearranging is...you can always put it all back!

I am happy that my sweet Sofi, who tucks Puppy into bed every day while she is away at school, has her own unique personality and I am glad that I could make some tweaks for her that helped her to feel that her room is her own again.



1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely written post. Can't wait until Sofi falls in love with her new room!

    xoD

    ReplyDelete