Sunday, May 6, 2012

DIY Accent Chair

Awhile back House and Home magazine featured Tommy Smythe's top 3 picks for an occasional chair.



Perty.  
And with price tags from $400 - $3200...expensive.

This little baby was $8.



Okay, at first glance maybe, not pretty...but it has good bones.  And fine, it has no arms, but still...$3200 for a CHAIR?  

An accent chair is a handy way to bring colour into a room.  It can be used as extra seating in a pinch or you can pop a tray on top and use it as a side table.
Keep your eyes open at thrift stores, get on Kijiji, watch the back lane, or search out your basement and let's get started!


Step One:
Turn your chair upside down and unscrew the seat.
Step Two:
Spray!  I chose glossy black because I wanted to ground a room that has a lot of white in it.

One
Two





















Step Three:
Cut your fabric so that it's big enough to wrap around the edge of the seat.

Three

Step Four:
Staples are ideal but I didn't know where Dino's gun was and when I went to get furniture tacks I was all out...so I just used thumb tacks.
Step Five:
Corners can be tricky.  You can do them like you would a present, or you can just play around until you find a look you like.

Four
Five





















Step Six:
Reattach the seat.

Six

Ta DA!  


And the beauty of my $8 thrift store chair is that some day, if I should decide that I prefer lime green paint and toile fabric, I can just switch it up again.

If at any point during May's DIY tutorials you have questions, please ask.  I am going easy on the details so that you don't feel overwhelmed, but if you need more information just say the word.

7 comments:

  1. so when I move, can you come over to play with furniture AFTER we invade a Mrs. Scott's storage unit for treasures etc. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job aunty shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! You're so handy with the spray paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it's such a pretty, comfy chair...which is also a nice bonus! (The comfy part) Great job!

    xoD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I love step #4! Pure awesomeness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Shannon are you my facebook friend? Check out my chair I refinished for my sister-in-law's birthday (it's one of my profile pics). Steve found it in our back lane. It cost me about $50 to refinish and it was so much fun to do.

    Sheri-Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your chair better then the other even before you refinished it! It looks really great after too :) I have 2 chairs that I really need to redo, but they will have to wait til a little later, but I want them done for the porch!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete