Monday, September 9, 2013

Being School Ready

Maybe you're never totally school ready in your heart, but at least you can get your home prepared for the onslaught of papers and forms and items that will need to be dealt with during the first few weeks of school.

You've seen our school organization area before.  
It was looking tired and sad.  Not to mention messy.
And since the best part about school is the supplies, I decided to pep things up a bit.
(So sorry for the picture quality.  Something went amiss with my camera but it's hard to get another "before" shot after the fact!)



I try hard to use and re-use but those old duo tangs were done.
I got new ones and printed out the kids' names in my favourite font, cut them to size and glued them on.
We use these for keeping things like class lists, class phone numbers, parent rep information, and any other papers that we may need to access all year long.



Next I collected pens and pencils, sharpies and erasable markers, paper clips and a good eraser.
I also bought myself a stapler.  I am constantly fighting with the cheap little staplers that float around our house and I have put my foot down.  We are having ONE good stapler.



I traded in my little turquoise pitcher for a Fall coloured goblet.
Keep the specific writing supplies you and the kids will need easily accessible and close at hand.



I did a 5 minute clean up of the supply drawer.  Think about what might be handy to keep close by.  A 3 hole punch?  Stapler?  Glue sticks?  Make a list of everything you find yourself looking for during the after school homework time.



I posted a new message which I've already had a couple of the kids repeat back to me a few times.
I saw this on Jones Design Company and thought it was so lovely.



Part of staying organized is delegating.  
Post a list for lunch making and let the kids do their own.



Just a few easy steps to make things look more pulled together and to have what we need to face another year.

After
Before



What's the item you can't do without in your after school area?

No comments:

Post a Comment