Monday, September 28, 2015

Back to School: Chores

There are endless ways to organize chores in a family.  
Charts and lists and incentives based on allowance or other rewards. 
And so many ways to do it all pretty-like.

craftaholicsanonymous.net

Pinterest is full of smart and gorgeous ideas.

The truth in my home though, is that I don't do any of it.  
And it's not because I don't think my kids need to do chores or because I don't believe in allowance.  
The simple fact is, I just can't do it all.  I can stay on top of feeding them and keeping the house tidy and administrating their lives, but any time I've tried to have a formal system for chores or allowance, it has just been too much for me to maintain and ended in frustration.

So, rather than sweat it, this is my philosophy.  
We are a team.  
Different days different jobs need to be done for different team members.  So if I ask you to do a job, do it, and do it now, and don't complain about it.  Because that is what is most helpful and that is what is right to do.  If the dishwasher needs emptying and I'm making supper and you're done your homework, then you empty it.  No, it's not always fair cause maybe you did it yesterday too (gasp).  But life's not fair.  If it were I would not BE making supper that includes a vegetable every day thanks.  And when you need a ride to Superstore to buy a 1 litre milk jug for your class project, I'll drive you.
  
Some jobs we do together as a team, like folding laundry.  Everyone helps sort and fold their own.  If I have extra time I might do it for everyone.  If I'm super busy I might ask someone to do it for their sibling.  This is how life works and my goal is for my kids to understand that and to be willing to help so that no one gets left doing all the work and we can then enjoy family time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment