Monday, November 9, 2015

#1 MOST IMPORTANT CHRISTMAS DECORATING RULE

So you're inspired.  You've set the mood.
And now the NUMBER ONE MOST IMPORTANT CHRISTMAS DECORATING RULE.

Do. Not. Add.
REPLACE!

I know I've said this before.  Like, every year I'm sure.  So I'm sorry to spend a whole day repeating myself but I cannot stress this enough.  When you pull out the Christmas box(es) to decorate, you are not ADDING these items to your home.  You are REPLACING other items with them.  So for mostly everything you add, you need to take something away.  This causes your holiday home to feel peaceful and calm and relaxing and friendly rather than overcrowded and tense.

Look through these before and afters to find the REPLACEMENTS.









































 

































































 Pretty much the only items I've had to add rather than replace are garlands and lights.  And that's cause neither one are regular features in other seasons.  For everything else I've taken away and replaced.  Whether it's a tablecloth or a tray, books or blooms or an item on a shelf, it got packed up and removed before a Christmas themed item took its place.  

Is that more work?  
Uh, yah.  That's why you're eating mint M & M's and sipping an eggnog latte.  It is not fun to pack up items and store them before you get to take out the Christmas stuff.  But I promise you it will keep your home feeling less busy and more relaxed.  Because in the end, what you want to create space for is company and food.

Wednesday is a holiday in this lovely province so come on back on 
Thursday for inexpensive deco tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment